Thursday, June 29, 2006

Challies Dot Com: I'd Like My City Back, Please

I sometimes forget about the darker, more oppressive pits (and people) of the 'web. Check out this entry posted at Challies.com, entitled I'd Like My City Back, Please. A man named Tim writes that he didn't take his son to a Jays' homegame because he felt it wrong to expose the boy to all the nearby sin of Toronto's Pride celebrations this past weekend.

Also of interest are the supportive comments the entry receives from Tim's readers -- and there are over 1300 who subscribe to his RSS feed. May peace be with you, Tim et al.

Comments left at Tim's site

From Ian Clary: "Why not get discusted [sic]? Could it be that your [sic] becoming tolerant (not to the sin of homosexuality) but to people who are not only NOT ashamed of their sin or being open about being gay, but who celebrate their rebelion for all to see?"

From Derek (I kind of like this one): "...We should be more suprised by the fact that we are not acting as they. If it were not for grace I would be standing on the street dressed in drag..." If it weren't for grace, Derek, if it weren't for grace. Amen.

From Seeker (an opportunistic fellow): "The best thing I can say about this, it is a mission field. For every 100 prideful gays, there may be one ready to hear the gospel. Certainly there are many young, hurting people in such a crowd."

Terms which Tim encloses in quotation marks

    Pride
    Dyke March
    Pride Parade

1 comment:

Ian Hugh Clary said...

Disagreements on this issue aside, you wrongfully attributed to me a quote that was actually posted by a guy named Elias. Go back to the initial post by Tim and re-read it. Trust me, I know how to spell disgusted.
I hope my comments were much more balanced that Elias.
If you could, I would appreciate that you make the necessary change to your post.
Thanks!