Tuesday, February 28, 2006

58 Wetherden Street, Satellite View

Well morning to you. Let's do some spying together.

As I still have a little more than an hour before my first class starts, I thought I'd link to Google Maps' satellite image of Wetherden Street. When you zoom in, you can get a pretty good view of the backyards; but I'm left wondering if any of the bomb shelters remain from the blitz. This wonder leads me to question whether most homes in London and its surrounding area have uprooted their shelters. I guess the corrugated metal domes would have been eyesores and space-wasters to many, and Ivy described her family's shelter as already leaky and flooded during the bombings. When she talks about things like that -- her family having to run to the bomb shelter for protection during air raids and inciendiary bombs -- she doesn't show any rememberence of fear, and I wonder about that, too.

3 comments:

Has said...

Your link to Google Maps just had me procrastinating for 20 minutes!

K. said...

Exxxcellent! Have you seen the downloadable map application by Google yet? I've only had a glance, but it looks pretty crazy. I bet you'd like it.

Has said...

No I haven't seen it! I wish our Geo 020 class had consisted of playing around with Google. Would've made things a looooot more exciting!