Monday, February 27, 2006

Between Mile End and Bethnal Green

When I'm in London next week, one of the things I want to do is find the house where my Nanna, Ivy, grew up. She's told me the address a shameful number of times, but, right now, I can only remember that her row of houses was -- hopefully still is -- between Mile End and Bethnal Green. I think the street name is Walthamstow. If it's still standing, I'll be taking pictures to share with her when I get back to Toronto. Visiting the place where she grew up and spent most of world war two will be so good. Hopefully the current residents will be home and friendly and not mind letting me into their backyard...or maybe even touring their house! Hah, think that's pushing it?

Attention all residents of Walthamstow and vicinity: Please prepare yourselves for company!

Edit: fifteen minutes later
Alright, so I was way off and totally wrong. Nanna's old house is out in section three nearest the Leyton station. She said there used to be a bus -- the 38 -- that would take her from home to Piccadily. I think bussing it out to her area would be much better than going the distance underground. I'd love to see how London is made and how it changes through the districts. Walthamstow is where Nanna's family sometimes got their mail from. The true address to find is 58 Wetherden Street, Leyton (off of Markhouse Rd and Leabridge Rd). I've promised photos. So pardon me as I reissue my warning:

Attention all residents of 58 and 60 Wetherden Street: Please prepare yourselves for company!

No comments: